Thursday, December 11, 2008

PUTTING THINGS INTO PERSPECTIVE

Sometimes when you are really feeling down the world has a way of putting things in perspective for you. Two years ago a young boy I know was diagnosed with leukemia. His mother set up a website through the hospital took keep his family and friends updated on his care. I joined so that I would know how he was doing. (He has fully recovered- thank God!) For some reason, don't ask me how, I started recieving updates about another little girl who had cancer. I haven't recieved many, but a few days ago I recieved an urgent update.

Let me step back and fill you in on this little girl. She is 13 years old now. She had cancer. I am assuming it was in her bone at one time, because she had a donor bone put into her leg. Then, shortly after she recieved the donor bone, she was in a very serious car accident- and broke the leg. Yes, the same leg that was just operated on. Her younger sister was also seriously injured. That was earlier this year. Her sister has healed well, but the girls leg has not healed as it should. It still has a serious infection. Months later.

Today I read the urgent update and it is the worst possible news. Her cancer is back. This time in her lungs. She needs chemo and radiation. But because of the infection in her leg it won't be possible. So you know what that means... amputation. Yes, this poor girl is going to have to have her leg amputated next week. Then she will start chemo the week after that. The week of Christmas.

I don't know this person. I've never met her family. But her story is one that makes my story seem small in comparison. My pain is great. It is the greatest pain I've ever know. But I have to tell you, I don't think it is even close to the pain this girl's mother is feeling. To watch your child suffer for years... I can't even go there. I just can't imagine.

Kind of puts things into perspective for me.

No comments: