Sunday, June 22, 2008

Awwww

So I just had to share this with you because it made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

My sister and I are the oldest, and have 4 younger brothers. My sister and I are married and have kids, all of our brothers are childless bachelors. For that reason, they sometimes don't know how to relate with us (or at least don't "get" what we are going through). This has been especially true with my loss. The very next day my brothers were at the hospital to visit (which was a pretty long drive from where they live), and stayed for awhile just "to make sure you're ok". They all came to the funeral, and offered their support, but really didn't know what else to do because: a) they are dumb boys, b) they don't have kids and c) are (deathly) afraid to see me cry. But we all are very close and I know they love me and would be there if I needed them. We just don't have long conversations about "the baby".

Yesterday they gave me a gift (which NEVER happens). They bought me tickets to see my favorite band in concert, and are taking my son for two days! I was so surprised I started crying (which is SO NOT LIKE ME!- I kept my sunglasses on and no one knew). They said that I've had such a hard year they just wanted to do something nice for me. I was really touched by that. I know it's just a concert, but it shows how much they are thinking of me, and how much they love me. It was such a thoughtful gift that I never expected.

I just thought I'd share this with you, because sometimes people surprise you in the most unexpected ways. It's really nice to know they care.

No comments: