Wednesday, April 29, 2009

MY BROTHERS AND SISTER

I have four brothers and one sister. I can't tell you how important they are to me. I do not know how I would go through life as an only child. My siblings are so important to me.

Can you see how utterly miserable my brothers look in this pic?

When I was in the hospital having surgery, my sister dropped everything and drove an hour to be with me. She went with my mom to see Brenna even before I saw her. I think about that all the time. It means a lot to me. My brothers came the next day and spent a long time with me. They also bought me tickets to my favorite band the summer after Brenna died. I was totally surprised (and I'm not easily surprised!). They did it just because they love me. :)

I always know that if I ever need anything they will drop everything to help me. We can all count on each other. I live an hour away from most of them (my one brother lives even further away), but we make an effort to talk or see each other often.

We don't always all get along, which is to be expected with six siblings, but we always stick together. My sister and I are the oldest, and I've (we've!) always taken care of "the boys". My youngest brother lived with us for awhile and after he moved out my husband asked me who I was "going to mother-hen to death" because (apparently) I always need someone to take care of. I guess that is what happens when you have so many younger siblings, and grow up taking care of them.

Also, something I always forget about, one of my brothers and my sister are Japanese. I never really think about it, and when people meet my sister for the first time they look at me like I'm insane. I always tell her she's adopted (she's not- their mom is Japanese). My sister was born in Japan, which I think it's kind of cool.






No comments: