Wednesday, June 23, 2010

LETTING GO

When I was growing up we used to play outside with the neighborhood kids until the street lights came on. We could run around our 2 square block neighborhood all day, and my mom never thought twice about it. Once the street lights came on we had to come home.

I live in the country and we don't have street light. We don't eve have "blocks". Well, we do but they are mile on each side. Not exactly what my mother had in mind.

When he was little my son learned to ride his bike in the driveway. We don't have sidewalks.

He got a new bike a few weeks ago, and wanted to ride it today. He wanted to take off and ride down the road. We live on a main road, and it has a fair amount of traffic. I couldn't force my 13 year old son to ride circles in the driveway. He's growing up! So I told him where he could and couldn't go, and off he went.

I watched him ride out of the driveway and down the road, and the way I felt you would think I was watching him leave home for the last time. "Look at him" I whined to my husband "It's so sad!" I couldn't see him anymore and everytime a car passed I'd think "I hope he stays to the side of the road".

He was gone for maybe five whole minutes.

My baby is growing up.

I'm getting gray hair.

1 comment:

Mrs. Mother said...

It is so hard letting them grow up. I only just started letting Tessa play outside by herself in the last year or so, and she's seven. We also live in a very safe area, so I shouldn't have been so overprotective.