Thursday, August 2, 2012

THICK SKIN

I have posted before on this blog that I believe strongly in gay rights. I think this country should be ashamed of themselves they way they allow certain members of our society to be treated. I think one day, years from now, we will look back on this time with shame, just like we look back at our treatment of African Americans with shame. But we aren't there yet. Homosexuality still has the ability to make people act like fools.

This whole Chick-fil-A thing has become political and it's making me crazy. I believe strongly in gay rights, but I also believe every person has the right to their own opinion. As long as that person presents their opinion is a respectful manner I don't have a problem with it. I don't think Dan Cathy was disrespectful in his opinion at all. All he said was that he believes in traditional marriage. Like it or not, a man and women is the traditional way people are married. That's how it's been done for hundreds of years. Technically, same sex marriage is non-traditional. That doesn't make it bad or wrong, it just makes it new. When things are new they scare the hell out of the old timers. People are afraid of what they don't know. That is just how it is. Getting all up in arms and boycotting Chick-fil-A is doing nothing to help your cause. Instead, it make those very people who are fearful think that you are irrational and further divides.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I couldn't find an instance were Dan Cathy said anything actually against the gay community. Instead, he said that he believes in the christian model of a man and women. You may not agree, but you don't have to. This is American, the guy can believe what he wants. He wasn't being rude. He was asked what he believed in and he answered. End of story. The entire thing has now been blown way out of proportion and it's turned into a political debate with the "conservatives" on one side and the "liberals" on the other. I wish something in this country could happen that wasn't used to further someone's political agenda.

Why does Dan Cathy not have the right to believe what he wants? I don't agree with him, but so what! I'm not going to boycott the restaurant. I'm also not going to go running there to eat their chicken just because of what he said. If someone doesn't want to support this restaurant because of Mr. Cathy's stance on this issue that is their prerogative. But, I think it's very unfair for everyone to bash the hell out of this guy who was just answering a question, and who answered it in a very un-insulting way.

This entire country has become so hyper-sensitive to what is politically correct that we forget why we were founded in the first place. Mr. Cathy has every right to his opinion, just as I have every right to mine. I wish the people who are bashing this man and his company would be half as respectful in their remarks as he was in his.


4 comments:

Reese said...

Fundamentally it started with Cathy stating that he supported traditional marriage, but upon further delving it was discovered that Chickfila donated about $5M to Christian groups whose mission is to abolish gay rights in some form or fashion. A search around Google will give you some examples of the groups they supported. So, it really wasn't an opinion to the gay community inasmuch as they realized that Cathy is actively funding organizations that try to suppress them. I think it got muddled big time with a line being divided in the sand and no one really knew Wtf the line really was. I am disappointed to read some of the groups they supported. An opinion is one thing. We all have them. But donating millions to organizations whose mission is to suppress anyone's rights just is bad mojo. What's worse, these poor employees are now being called homophobic just for working there. It's a double edge sword. Unless Cathy speaks up soon (he hasn't said a word since the first interview and his poor PR rep died of a heart attack) I don't know how his store will ever survive the stigma of this anti-gay label.

Jen said...

Hear! Hear! Great post, Holli!

Jayme said...

I totally agree with you- I said something (not as eloquent as you) and got berated by a few friends. I figure if I boycotted all companies whose owners have a different belief system than I do, I'd be left with not much out there.

Iamshawnie said...

You have a good point. Everyone is entitled to their own opinon. A friend of mine just ask me to write about gay rights (relationships and marriage) It will be a good point and catch other attentnion. you are a good writer. Keep it up!