Saturday, August 4, 2012

HARD NUMBERS

Judging by the angry mail* I've gotten I'm going to assume my last post pissed some people off. That is never my intention, but this is a place where I write what I feel. I feel that this Chick-fil-A debacle is ridiculous. I've been reminded that this company "donates millions to anti-gay organizations" which promote hatred of gays. If that was true it would change my mind, so I tried to find the actual facts and figures. I found a lot of articles saying that they donate millions, but I had a hard time finding actual numbers of what they donated and who it went to. The best I could find was this:

Chick-fil-A does it's charitable contributing through a company called WinShape. In 2009 (the most recent data available) WinShape donated to the following causes:

  • Marriage & Family Legacy Fund: $994,199
  • Fellowship Of Christian Athletes: $480,000
  • National Christian Foundation: $240,000
  • Focus On The Family: $12,500
  • Eagle Forum: $5,000
  • Exodus International: $1,000
  • Family Research Council: $1,00
What readers may not know about me is that my parents are very religious, and I am familiar with some of these groups. While these groups definitely have a "gay is a sin" vibe, I wouldn't call them hate groups. (If that is the case then my church could be considered a hate group, and I guess I've contributed to a hate group because I donate money in the collection plate). Exodus International's whole purpose is to minister to gay people. (They also want to "turn" them straight, which I don't think can be done. But, if they are trying to minster to these people they obviously care about them and therefor it stands to reason they don't "hate" them.) People are calling them hate groups, when they really have no idea what these groups even do!

I was brought up in a house where we were taught gay is a sin. I live my life believing it's not my place to judge. I think we should all have equal rights, and I have friends who are gay. To me, being gay is a non-issue. I support their right, just as I support Mr. Cathy's right to donate his money to whoever he wants. These groups are not out there beating up gay people or inciting violence. They don't want to have all gays arrested. They simply believe what a lot of Americans believe. That homosexuality is a sin. I don't agree with them, but I don't have to. This is America. We can believe what we want; we can donate to whom we want. If his beliefs make people not want to buy his chicken, then fine. That's their right. But to turn this into a political debate is sickening to me. To beat this man up when he speaks his mind irritates me. Mostly because half of the people beating him up for what he said, are the same people I hear telling gay jokes and fearing someone they know will come out of the closet. This country is so aware of political correctness we are afraid to say what we think. Mr. Cathy had to know that is views would be met with criticism. He said what he felt anyway, which is more than I can say for a lot of people I know. So while I don't agree with his views, I applaud him for not hiding what he really believes. It's a refreshing change for once. 


*Comments are appreciated, even when you don't agree with me. Weird emails, not-so-much.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

What? no comments yet? HAHAHA well this didn't piss me off in the least. Sounds like we agree for the most part. Thanks.

Jen said...

I agreed with your last post 100% and I agree with this one 100%, as well.

I'm assuming that people are labeling these groups as hate groups strictly because they don't support the other side's opinion. Personally, I love everyone because every single person is so much more than their sexual identities. I could care less who people want to sleep with and look at homosexuality pretty much the same as I look at any other sin. A sin is a sin. I don't belive gay people are going to hell because they're gay which is what I've seen on fb this week which is pure nonsense.

Again, I agree with you and I think it's great that your putting your opinion out there. This is America, after all!

B's Mom said...

I'm sure most gay people don't like the fact that Exodus International thinks they can be "fixed" and don't agree with the company's mission, but that doesn't make them a hate group.

Just because someone has a different opinion doesn't mean they hate you.

Alyssa Willie said...

I applaud you for voicing your beliefs, and I agree with you. We all see one thing or another differently and no person should be bashed for that. <3